You MUST register for an account and log in BEFORE adding your own events, or your data will be lost when you click ‘submit’. Logging in not only helps reduce spam, it will also allow you to edit your events later. When you register for an account, we will also add you to our mailing list for event organisers (opens in new tab), so that we can keep you up to date with essential information about indie events.
- This event has passed.
Ada Lovelace Day 2019 – LivUni
8 October 2019 @ 3:00 pm - 7:00 pmFree
In honour of Ada Lovelace Day 2019, the University of Liverpool is hosting an evening of interdisciplinary events to celebrate the life and legacy of the woman herself. Get your free ticket and join us for any or all of the sessions of this exciting event.
1) Lovelace’s work: HiPy session (15:00 to 16:45)
HiPy is an open, grass-roots community of people dedicated to introducing anyone and everyone to coding with the language Python. This special HiPy event is suitable for absolute beginners and those more familiar with programming, as we will be recreating Ada Lovelace’s first computer program.
Please bring your own laptop to participate!
Tea and Coffee break
2) Lovelace as inspiration: musical performance and ‘In Conversation’ with composer Emily Howard (17:10 to 18:00)
Musical performance of Ada Sketches
Megan Rowlands (flute)
Ausias Garrigos-Morant (clarinet)*
Emily Magee (percussion)
*Musicians from the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, supported through the University of Liverpool / Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Partnership.
‘In conversation’ with Emily Howard
Professor Emily Howard (Composer and Director of PRiSM), Artist in Residence in the Department of Mathematical Sciences, will be discussing with colleague Professor Lasse Rempe-Gillen her work and how she has been inspired by Ada Lovelace.
Tea, Coffee & Sandwich selection during the break
3) Lovelace’s legacy: A Celebration of Interdisciplinary Collaboration Between the Sciences and the Arts (18:20 to 19:00)
A panel discussion in which participants will share views and opinions on their research and interdisciplinary collaborations.
The panel session will be chaired by Professor Dinah Birch CBE, BA, MA, DPhil, FRSA, FEA, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Cultural Engagement and Professor of English Literature at the University of Liverpool.
Our panellists are:
• Emily Howard, Composer and Director of PRiSM, the RNCM Research Centre for Practice & Research in Science & Music
• Lasse Rempe-Gillen, Professor of Pure Mathematics, Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool
• Rachel Bearon, Professor of Mathematical Biology, Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool
• Eduardo Coutinho, Lecturer in Music Psychology, Department of Music, University of Liverpool
• David de Roure, Professor of e-Research, Oxford e-Research Centre, University of Oxford
Refreshments will be provided throughout the evening.
If you have any questions about the Ada Lovelace Day events calendar, or have any other problems, please email us. Please note that you CANNOT add an event without registering for an account or logging in FIRST.
When you register for an account, we will also add you to our mailing list for event organisers (opens in new tab), so that we can keep you up to date with essential information about indie events.