You MUST register for an account and log in BEFORE adding your own events, or your data will be lost when you click ‘submit’. Logging in not only helps reduce spam, it will also allow you to edit your events later. When you register for an account, we will also add you to our mailing list for event organisers (opens in new tab), so that we can keep you up to date with essential information about indie events.
- This event has passed.
Beyond Numbers: a celebration of Ada Lovelace
9 October 2018 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pmFree, RSVP
Ada Lovelace Day, held on the second Tuesday of October every year, is an international celebration of the achievements of women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths which aims to increase the profile of women in STEM and create new role models for both girls and women studying or working in STEM.
“Beyond Numbers” coincides with this day and is specifically interested in exploring the potential identified by Ada Lovelace of machines to ‘act upon other things besides numbers’ to ‘compose elaborate and scientific pieces of music of any degree of complexity’. The aim of this particular event is to celebrate women, non-binary and transgender scientists, artists, musicians, researchers and thinkers whose works are based on scientific, technological and/or mathematical methods. A combination of all is most welcome! Following our theme, it’s a day where the fusion of science and creative arts has no limits, outreaches beyond the “numerical”, and provides a friendly space for local community to find out about one another. To share, to engage and to collaborate, in other words to bring us closer together.
This event is organized by Dr Sharon Webb and Ioann Maria and will feature a number of speakers.
• Sharon Webb — Opening of the event — When computers were people: historical overview of the role of women in technology
• Kate Howland – Talking Programming: research on designing voice user interface support for end-user programming in home automation
• Cécile Chevalier – Women and Tech: feeling, embracing and pushing gender boundaries
• Irene Fubara-Manuel – Dreams of Disguise: An Auto ethnographic Account of Virtual Borders talk + video screening
• Estela Oliva
• Akiko Haruna – Self value in the face of Ego: A/V and electronic music scene
• Ioann Maria – Contra-control structures: women and hacktivism
If you have any questions about the Ada Lovelace Day events calendar, or have any other problems, please email us. Please note that you CANNOT add an event without registering for an account or logging in FIRST.
When you register for an account, we will also add you to our mailing list for event organisers (opens in new tab), so that we can keep you up to date with essential information about indie events.