Ada Lovelace Day Live! 2016
Our flagship ‘science cabaret’ event was this year held at The IET on the evening of 11 October. Playing host to the UK’s most fabulous women in STEM, ALD Live is an entertaining evening of geekery, comedy and music suitable for everyone over the age of 12. If you’d like to enjoy a taster, take a look at our videos from 2015, 2014 and 2013!
Our amazing speakers this year were:
- Yewande Akinola, design engineer focused on sustainable water supply systems and the engineering design coordination of large projects in the built environment.
- Dr Sheila Kanani, planetary physicist, science presenter, secondary school physics teacher and space comedienne with a background in astrophysics and astronomy.
- Dr Kat Arney, science writer and broadcaster whose work has featured in the New Scientist, Wired, the Guardian, the Times Educational Supplement, BBC Radio 4, the Naked Scientists and more.
- Jenny Duckett, developer with the Government Digital Service.
- Dr Sara Santos, mathematician, director and founder of Maths Busking.
- Dr Bissan Al-Lazikani, computational biologist working on drug discovery for Cancer Research UK.
- Dr Anna Jones, deputy science leader for the British Antarctic Survey’s Atmosphere, Ice and Climate Team.
If you organised your own independent ALD event this year, we’d really like you to add it to our map, if you haven’t already – it’s never too late to add an event! Please also upload an video, photos, or other event materials to our Figshare media hub.
If you want to organise something next year, download our handy organisers’ pack for inspiration, advice and resources. You can also chat to other organisers about what they are doing on our community forum!