You MUST register for an account and log in BEFORE adding your own events, or your data will be lost when you click ‘submit’. Logging in not only helps reduce spam, it will also allow you to edit your events later. When you register for an account, we will also add you to our mailing list for event organisers (opens in new tab), so that we can keep you up to date with essential information about indie events.
- This event has passed.
Guardian Digital Development’s Ada Lovelace Inspiration day
11 October 2016
Ada Lovelace Inspiration Day 2016
Tuesday 11 October 2016
The Guardian Digital Development department will be inviting school girls from London, who are interested in technology, to an Inspiration Day on 11 October to celebrate Ada Lovelace day 2016.
We will be inviting girls aged 14-16 years to come to the Guardian to spend some time with the women who work to create our digital products at the Guardian – from our website to our apps and all the supporting infrastructure.
Our proposed Inspiration Day will include:
- an onsite tour of our digital development department with delegates from each of the Guardian’s product teams explaining what they do
- a question and answer session with women who work across the disciplines in our digital teams (this might include data scientists, user experience researchers, product managers, developers and testers)
- Find out about the kind of backgrounds and career paths of women who work in our digital department
- An opportunity to find out about the roles in digital/tech companies
- Taster sessions (lasting around an hour or so) including:
- a coding workshop similar to the one we deliver to schools from our education centre
- A UX session with opportunities to create wire frames
- Hands on testing session – how do we make our products bug free?
- Data science session – what we can do with data
We would like to show a future generation of girls that there are exciting and fun roles to be had in technology. This day is not only aimed at those taking computer science or straight sciences at school – many of the people in our department come to technology from other disciplines: philosophy, languages, maths and music. We welcome anyone who is interested in technology.
If you have any questions about the Ada Lovelace Day events calendar, or have any other problems, please email us. Please note that you CANNOT add an event without registering for an account or logging in FIRST.
When you register for an account, we will also add you to our mailing list for event organisers (opens in new tab), so that we can keep you up to date with essential information about indie events.